Thursday, September 4, 2008

Diary 8: Tue, August 26th

Today's notice


When I talk with people here, I often realize that my custom in Japanese makes some great influence on my English. For example, a person asks me, "Are you going to a school here?" Actually, I don't go to any language school this time, so I answer to her, "No." There is no problem at all. However, when she says a few comments to my answer, I say automatically, "Yes." Have you found the problem here? Then, she gets a little confused and asks me with a laugh, "Yes? You go to a school?" or "Yes or no?" My 'yes' in this case means 'hai' in Japanese, not 'yes' in English. Can you tell the difference between their meanings? I mean what she just said(a few comments of her) is right. This is a Japanese favorite phrase, I guess. I realized my Japanese custom by speaking English. That's interesting, isn't it?


[158 words]

No comments: